Skip to main content

Ceasefire Organizer: 'Push For Peace Not Over,' In Spite Of Murders - Baltimore police are investigating a pair of homicides that occurred during a 72 hour ceasefire from gun violence that was proposed by a number of community groups.
The first killing occurred 41 hours into the ceasefire.
Police say, that just after 5 p.m., officers patrolling the 1300-block of Sargent Street heard gunfire.  They located a crime scene at the intersection of South Carey Street and Sargent Street.
Investigators say a 24-year-old man was shot, and was taken to Shock Trauma by friends. 
The victim was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at Shock Trauma.
The second killing was reported just before 10 p.m. Saturday in the 1600 block of Gertrude Court.
Police found a 37-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was taken to Shock Trauma, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Baltimore City has now recorded 210 homicides for the year.
Anyone with information on either killing is urged to contact the Baltimore Police Department's Homicide Section at 410-396-2100.
Those who wish to remain anonymous can utilize the Metro Crime Stoppers tip line, at 1-866-7LOCKUP or text tips and video to 443-902-4824.
The cease fire started just after midnight Thursday, and was expected to last through Sunday.
Erricka Bridgeford, a professional conflict mediator in Baltimore, is one of the organizers of the cease-fire, whose motto is "Nobody Kill Anybody."
Bridgeford told WBAL-TV 11 that the effort to stop violence will continue this weekend. She says Baltimore “will show the nation,” that the city is committed to fighting violence and stopping it. 
There was a vigil near the scene of the South Carey Street shooting. Baltimore police spokesman T.J. Smith praised that vigil on Twitter.

Bridgeford said the push for peace is not over.
"I believe that my city is going to show up tomorrow vibrating higher, showing love, ready to stand stronger and tighter together. Now we can see we still got a lot of gaps, right? So we're just going to tighten it up. We're just going to tighten it up and vibrate higher," Bridgeford said.
The ceasefire inspired a weekend full of community events throughout the city. The Belair-Edison neighborhood hosted its fifth annual Nonviolent Family and Friends Day with games music and food.
"If we give these kids something to do on a day-to-day basis and mentor these kids, we won't have all these crimes out here," said Dwayne Richardson, with Making Good in Our Community.
Dozens gathered at Frederick Douglass High School for a walk to prevent gun violence. Organized by Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, the goal of the walk was to remember shooting victims.
"We wanted to come here today so that the city could have a moment of peace, a moment of prayer and a time of healing, and this isn't going to be the only step. We're going to make sure that this is just the first step," said Jen Pauliukonis, president of Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence.
Next week, Ceasefire 365 will meet with a goal of no violence all year-round.

Source WBAL


Popular posts from this blog

Former NFL Safety Keion Carpenter Dead at 39 - Keion Carpenter, a former Woodlawn High School standout and ex-NFL safety, has died at the age of 39 in Miami, Florida at Jackson South Community Hospital, according to a statement released by a family spokesperson.

Carpenter collapsed during a family vacation and was in a coma for 24 hours leading up to his passing.

The Maryland-native played college football at Virginia Tech before signing with the Buffalo Bills in 1999 as an undrafted free agent. He was then traded to the Atlanta Falcons in 2002 where he finished out his six-year career.

After his career, he founded The Carpenter House in Baltimore, a nonprofit organization utilized to empower the community through affordable housing, youth athletics and mentorship.

"His strongest connection in the city were the kids within the community," spokesperson Casay Vaughn said. "No matter where he was, he made sure to come back and show them that (anything is possible)."

Diamond K of said t…

7-Year-Old Murdered as She Slept at Her Grandmother's House: Shot 13 Times - Police have reported that a 7-year-old A'yanna Allen was shot and killed in Salisbury, North Carolina while asleep at her grandmother's house. The autopsy revealed that the little girl was shot as many as 13 times, and her grandmother, Shirley Robinson, was treated for a gunshot wound to the leg. At this time there are no suspects nor any motive as to why someone would commit such an abhorrent crime. Police are offering a $20,000 reward for any information leading to an arrest. Prayers go out to the family of the victim, hopefully, whoever did this will be arrested soon. Stay posted for updates.

Brandon Harris Arrested for Murder of DJ Vicious V - This is a really sad day for our DJ community, entertainment scene and Baltimore as a whole. Two friends of mine - lives forever changed.... and over what?

Baltimore Police say:
 34 year-old DJ Arrested for Murder of 53 year-old DJ Vicious V. On May 12, 2017 at approximately 4:00 a.m., officers responded to the 1200 block of Bloomfield Avenue for a shooting.

Upon arrival, officers found 53 year-old Vincent Curtis of the 3000 block of Walbrook Avenue, had been shot in the chest. Curtis was transported to Shock Trauma where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Homicide detectives investigated this murder. Detectives obtained video footage of this incident and interviewed several witnesses. A suspect was quickly identified and taken into custody and an arrested warrant was obtained.

Later in the evening on May 12th, detectives charged 34 year-old Brandon Harris of the 700 block of St Dunstans Road with 2nd Degree Murder, 1st Degree Assault, and an array of handgun viol…